November 23, 2008

My UK Thanksgiving


I had lots of time before I moved to England to come to grips with the 'sacrifices' I would make, including the fact that they don't have Thanksgiving here. But ironically, my British friends seem less OK with me missing this holiday than I am!

My dear friend Sarah (Scottish, mind you) found us this Thanksgiving dinner for Americans. It was tonite, on a boat moored on the Thames and there were nearly 300 people in attendance! The food was excellent and we had a super fun time ... I didn't have to miss Thanksgiving and Sarah got to celebrate her first!



Queen Mary












To get your River bearings, see the London Eye in the middle background and Big Ben in the right background.



The only pumpkin pie in England.











Sarah eating her first pumpkin pie ever!









This was the best part - they played a tape of last year's Macy's Day Parade. Ha!







Aren't we cute.

4 comments:

Juliette said...

ok, now THAT is awesome! The taped parade kills me! lol
we celebrated back on Nov 9th with some American friends in the area. I have 2 cans of pumpkin left in my stash and will have to decide what/when to use them this holiday season-too many good pumpkin recipes! Glad you got to celebrate!

Me said...

Looks fun! Where's my turkey?

Anonymous said...

That is brilliant! Your friend is so great. How was the pumpkin pie..my favorite part of Thanksgiving.--Lauren

Anonymous said...

the whole parade thing is wicked awesome! so, on the 4th of july do you get a bbq and last years fire-works? ~ Jackie