
OK Americans... help me out. What is the nickname for this place?
Quite clearly, quite obviously, it's Mickey D's.
Yeah, well over here it's Macky D's, I kid you not. Not only is it Macky D's but they pronounce it MACdonalds with the stress on the first syllable and a definite "Mac". Not only THAT but I got made fun of for a good 15 minutes at work for my "Mick-donalds" pronounciation and stress on 2nd syllable. And blank stares of disbelief that - no really, 300 million people call it "Mickey D's".
Stuff like this happens allllll the time in my life now. Here's a few more examples off the top of my head:
They have Where's Waldo, but it's called "Where's Wally"
They have the boardgame Clue, but it's called "Cluedo"
They know The Hokey Pokey, but they call it "The Hokey Cokey"
They have T.J. Maxx, but it's called "T.K. Maxx" !
Probably my favorite was when I walked into a dry cleaners the other day and asked them if they hem pants. I forgot that in the UK "pants" means "underwear". (They say "trousers" for what we call pants). So yeah, that was humorous.
It's a bit like living in just a slightly alternative universe. It's almost the same but a few things are askew.
4 comments:
Cluedo??! How did they come up with that?-Lauren
it's like how in Germany they use "English" words to rename something. The cell phone is the "handy", the remote is the "clicker", the LCD projecter is called the "beamer" (lol, which I find funny b/c it's not a Beemer/BMW, which is also German!).
If you say something in the past tense in German, you usually add 'ge' as a prefix. And they use the word 'chillin', as in "Today I have gechillt", or you can also say "the meeting was gecancellt" (cancelled). Sometimes when I miss a word, I try the English one with an accent, and sometimes it actually works! :P
Didn't we like, invent, Mcdonalds? I think we know what we're talking about! You just keep on keepin' on sayin' it like it is.
haha! this made me laugh (chuckle?)
Post a Comment