January 28, 2010

The Tower of London: it's not made of plastic

I didn't take this picture.
Pete loves the Tower of London, and I'd never been. So one of his birthday presents (admittedly more exciting than the ironing board) was tickets for us to go.

I'm still getting used to the idea of all this really old stuff, and that it's real. I feel like I'm in some Olde Englande theme park instead.

But sure enough, this bell tower for instance is from 1190.

It's a very cool place. We had a 60 minute tour, which is given by one of the "Yeoman Warders" (aka Beefeaters), and then went to see the Crown Jewels, the interactive exhibits, and walked along the castle walls.










The famous and beautiful Tower Bridge behind us, which people often assume is London Bridge. London Bridge is nothing to look at.

They keep ravens at the Tower, because of some old superstition. Pete has a thing for them and crows (I have no idea) so I bought him this stuffed animal raven in the gift shop. If you look past the weirdo and his stuffed raven, in the background you might be able to see the real thing.

No comments: