April 3, 2009

Weirdest country ever

Britain loves "crisps" (what we'd call chips). But they especially love WEIRD crisps .. I mean REALLY weird.

Snapped these the other day at the corner shop.









Fish and Chips

Builder's Breakfast (bacon and eggs)

Prawn Cocktail

Chili and Chocolate

and ... I kid you not ... Cajun Squirrel

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Okay..I can't even laugh at that. Seriously, who came up with those "flavors"????

Joe said...

Mindy, stop lying to America, those flavours are all gimmicks, not regular crisps you can buy. Unlike Cheese and Onion, Smoky Bacon, Prawn Cocktail, Beef and Onion, Salt and Vinegar, you know, proper flavours :)

Kate said...

Mindy - the only normal crisps on that list are the Prawn Cocktail ones. I don't like them but they've been a standard for as long as I can remember.

The rest were a gimick that never paid off, and are generally considered to be revolting. Take a look at this article on all those flavours by Charlie Brooker.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/feb/16/walkers-crisps-new-flavours-brooker

He says - of the Builders Breakfast: "It captures the feeling of sitting in a greasy spoon, being dumped via text while your food repeats on you. Depressing."

Citizenship Test Fail. Otherwise great. :P x

better than 8 accidents said...

doesn't matter, you two. you sell them, people buy them, people eat them. it counts.

and even if prawn cocktail is the only "normal" one on the list .. c'mon. that is so not normal.

Jen Migonis said...

Sick, Mindy. That is so gross! :) When my sister studied in Ireland it was bizarre food like that too, but I never saw anything like that!
(My blogger name will come up as Jennifer, it's Jen Thorburn!).

Andrew and said...

I can't get past the 'Cajun Squirrel'...what does that even mean?!? Do people EAT squirrel there? It sound more like something you'd find in Maine!