August 21, 2008

My fake English accent

I'm assisting two people at my company, one of whom is the new chairwoman, who needs me to set up lots of meetings as she starts out there.

So, turns out that no one can understand her name when I say it over the phone. I have to say it a million times and spell it and they are still lost. So in desperation, I've taken to saying her name in an English accent. So when I speak it's like American accent, American accent, ENGLISH ACCENT Joanne Shaw, American accent, American accent. It's pretty funny.


Also yesterday for some reason I mentioned "Harry Potter" and the whole office fell into hysterics because of how I pronounce it (which is, of course, the same way you pronounce it if you're American.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I can think of several ways that Americans might pronounce Harry Potter, but yours is probably the same as mine...

Juliette said...

well, if it's any ancouragement (perhaps it's actually a DIScouragement) after more than a year here in Germany I still can't say Fanta properly. I mean, how hard is it to say Fanta?? We never buy soda, so I only get it when we eat out, and the waitstaff have to ask twice and then I'm either brought a water, or my husband jumps in and says Fanta the 'correct' way. Honestly I can't tell the difference!! Fanta, Fanta, Fanta......

bryan parys said...

ok, i've totally spotted the sir ian mckellan ala 'extras' homage in this post ("sir ian, sir ian, sir ian, action, wizard, YOU SHALL NOT PASS!, sir ian, sir ian, sir ian").

you can't sneak one by old bp...

are you dating/stalking stephen merchant yet?

Anonymous said...

Mindy, the way you pronounce Harry Potter IS very funny. You Americans :)

Anonymous said...

Min,
So fun to "hear" you describe your life here - I can totally picture it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mindy,
Jasper sent me a link to your blog, i am the English person you met at his party. Your blog is really making me laugh and reminding me of my time in the US. Here is a link to the blog i wrote when i got there (now out of date), you might find it funny now.

http://lolarogers.spaces.live.com/blog/

We are now settled in Bath, let me know if your ever down this way.

Lois.